BROKEN WHEAT PULAO
1 cup broken wheat(dalia)
1 cup mix dals
2 cup diced mix vegetables (peas, carrots, potatoes, french beans)
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander
1 medium size onion( chopped)
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
3-4 green chillies lengthwise slited
8-10 curry leaves
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 pinch of asafoetida
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp ghee
Salt to taste
1. Wash & soak dalia & dal together until you cut all vegetables.
2. Now heat oil & ghee together, temper it with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, asafoetida, curry leaves & green chillies.
3. After few seconds add onions & saute it.
4. Now add coriander & vegetables mix & saute for 2 minutes.
5. Now add, ginger, garlic & other spices too.
6. Add soaked dalia & dal & add water. 1:3 ratio for water is enough.
7. Add salt also & mix well & bring it to boil.
8. Once it starts boiling, slow down heat & cover it & let it cook on simmer.
9. As water is reduced, our pulao also cooked. Serve hot with curd, papad & pickle.
1. Preferably use non stick pan & stir occasionally. If not using nonstick then keep vessel on tava to avoid sticking on bottom.
2. You can cook it in pressure cooker for three whistles.
3. Instead of oil - ghee mix, can use only oil or only ghee.
4. You can add more or less vegetables of your choice.
5. Can also add dry fruits like cashew nuts & kismis & also peanuts.