Learn how to make Goan style chicken curry called Chicken Shakuti (xacuti). This flavorful chicken curry is great for special dinners or family get-togethers.
1.5 to 2 kg chicken drumsticks and 2-4 potatoes
1.5 tsp cumin seeds (Jeera), fennel seeds (saunf) and coriander seeds (dhania)
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (Methre)
1/2 tsp poppy seeds (khuskhus)
1 tsp black peppercorns
4 dried red chillies
2-3 small sticks of cinnamon
1 black cardamom and 4 green cardamom
2 inch piece of tamarind pulp (soak it in 1/4 cup of water to get tamarind juice)
4 tbsp oil
5-6 cloves of garlic
2 inch piece of ginger
1 large onion ( or use 2 small)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp turmeric (optional)
Salt per taste
Cilantro fro garnish
1. Roast all the spices in 2 tbsp of oil (except sesame seeds). Once they emit aroma and start changing color, add onions, ginger and garlic. Fry for 2-3 mins.
2. Add coconut and sesame seeds. Fry until coconut starts changing color. Keep stirring to avoid sesame seeds and coconut from burning.
3. Add 1/2 cup to the mixture and make a smooth sauce.
4. Fry chicken pieces in a pot with 2 tbsp of oil until sealed (i.e. turn white) and then add potatoes. Stir- together and then add your masala sauce.
5. Add salt, turmeric, tomato paste. Mix well and cook for 10-15 mins until chicken is 80 % done.
6. Add coconut milk and tamarind juice and simmer until potatoe sare tender and chicken completely done.
7. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve over rice or with naan bread. Enjoy!